September 7, 2012

Knights and Ladies

 Our first year of school started this week. I'm laughing at this picture of our first day because it reminds me of my second grade teacher telling me I looked like an orphan with my collar up. Like mother like son.


  Also on our list this week is a birthday party for my niece and nephew. I made them capes from a pattern  I  modified from Pinterest:

Brother's cape has a felt cross stitched onto the back
The fabric was a crushed velvet on clearance at JoAnn's. Score. And the velvet doesn't seem to fray, even after washing and drying, so I just cut out the cape and handed it over to the kids to test it out. Easy and fast.

 I folded the fabric in half, wrong sides together. 

 To determine the length, measure from the back of the neck to where the cape should fall on the back of the leg. Add 6.5 inches to this measurement to allow for the head opening. For instance, if you want the finished cape 19 inches, measure 25.5 inches from the top of the fabric and mark it with a pin.
  
 To determine the width, measure from shoulder to shoulder. Divide this number by 2 and add 4 inches. Measure from the folded edge of fabric toward the center, and mark with a pin. Measure and pin again every three inches all along the outer width to the bottom of the cape.

 Cut out the cape, following the pins, and rounding out the edge of the top corner. 

 To make the opening for the head,  measure 2.5 in. from the top of the fabric, and place a pin to mark the spot. Measure another 4 in. from the first pin. (This material stretches, so you might want to start with 3 in. and make the hole larger if you find it is too small.)


 Next, measure 2.5 inches from the folded edge toward the center of the fabric and mark it with a third pin.


 Cut around the outside of the pins to create a circle, like this:

  

I hope that helps. You can also use jersey, which does not fray, or extra- large sized kids' shirts and just leave the head opening but cut off the sleeves. These were capes for knights and ladies, so we needed something fancy.

Ready to roll within minutes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment