February 18, 2011

Homework

  With spring just around the corner, my thoughts have naturally turned to the great outdoors. So these gardening books follow me when I take a break to nurse Adelaide. Only just now I do not have a green thumb. In fact I have been known to kill a plant or two. My best hope is Rebecca Cole's practical, fun book shown in the photo. She makes me feel like maybe I can do this whole gardening thing after all. Which is good because we have a lot of work ahead! We just bought a house last April and the yard is a mess. Last summer we uprooted at least a dozen stumps, "cleared" some holly and blackberry bushes (which are back with a vengeance), pruned trees, and planted some flowers. I imagine a lady in  her second trimester desperately hacking away thistles gave the neighbors a good laugh. This year I would love a vegetable/herb garden, flowers, a table and chairs for the patio, and a strategically placed spot for reading and watching the kids. Step one: Envision the space as it will be. You know, after the weeds have been cleared.
 Can anyone suggest other helpful resources for beginning gardeners? I would love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. Jess!! I love your blog--so fun to hear from you in this way. Here is a good website for all things garden. But specifically it has a good feature for finding your growing zone and which plants will actually live once you plant them. It took me awhile to figure out that no matter how much I want azaleas to grow in my Michigan yard the weather has other ideas--and the weather always wins!! You can totally do a garden--go for it! (Get Benny to help, he'll love digging in the dirt :)
    http://www.garden.org/zipzone/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! So good to hear from you too. Thanks for the tip; I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete