August 5, 2011

From Garden to Table

Tonight's dinner was a salad made from our garden's lettuce. Last night we had gnocchi with homemade pesto. Which is kind of funny because I planted most of my herbs, including basil, from seed. Several weeks later, convinced they were not going to grow, I planted tomatoes in the same general area.  A week later the herbs showed themselves amongst the tomatoes. So we had to do some rearranging for both plants to survive. I guess it just goes to show how much you can learn about yourself based on your garden. I might be a tad impatient. Maybe.

 Anyway, here is the pesto which is oh so yummy with gnocchi. I blended about 5 c. of fresh basil, 1 1/2 c. olive oil, 1/4 c. pine nuts, lots of garlic and salt and pepper to taste.  I'm out of Parmesan which is great in pesto, so we topped the gnocchi with Italian cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment